The public sector is expanding daily and becoming more complex. Due to this, there is need to study and appreciate modern-day issues, and challenges in public administration and management if one is to administer and manage the public affairs properly. This programme seeks to equip students with knowledge and skills to become public administrators and/or managers for the public, private, and corporate domains that need such technically, ethically and psychologically qualified personnel in their organizations.
A bachelor's degree in public administration and management (BPAM) provides a background for those interested in pursuing careers in governmental agencies, non-governmental organizations, management in hospitals or public health institution, consulting in private firms, school boards, and human resources,careers in international agencies, urban or regional planning, city management, financial planning, public finance and public relations also at the local, regional, national and other levels, as well as in the nonprofit sector.
The BPAM degree is interdisciplinary by drawing from fields such as economics, management, sociology, political science, and regional planning in order to equip BPAM graduates with skills and knowledge covering a broad range of topics and disciplines relevant to the public sector. The curriculum of the BPAM programme includes courses on economics, public finance, research methods / statistics, policy analysis, ethics,public management, leadership and human resources management.
The programme is intended to fill the gaps that other programmes are not emphasizing to include;
- Human Resources Management
The BPAM programme is designed to recognize that its graduates will; inter alia.
a) Have strong business orientation and management knowledge in order to provide management knowledge, skills and abilities that will;
- Enable successful performance of manpower systems in business organizations
- Integrate all business organization systems
- Strategize business organization of levels and functions System.
b) Exhibit strong ethical principles, good interpersonal communication values and virtues through;
- Appropriate public administrators codes of conduct
- Effective and efficient trained team work
- Being practically inquisitive and objective in achievements.
c) Have strong analytic and critical thinking, knowledge, skills and abilities to;
- Solve Public administration problems in organizations
- Apply perspective and prospective Public administration concepts and information
- Conceptualize and systemize people, principles, procedures, and data in Public administration
Upon completion of the prescribed course of study for Bachelor of Public Administration and Management, the graduate will have acquired knowledge, skills and abilities to be able to:
- Engage with people in different types of public organizations and departments on policy issues.
- Distinguish between and analyze different government systems and executive public sector structures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the public sector environment and applying skills in key areas of public administration.
- Participate in the formulation, analysis and implementation of public financial policies.
- Integrate and apply knowledge and analytical skills from a variety of disciplines such as Political Science, Industrial Psychology and Economics in public sector management.
- Undertake research in public affairs.
- Analyze report findings in public sector management.