The Foundation programme is intended for students who have successfully completed the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) or its equivalent but didn’t attain sufficiently high grades to enroll for Diploma or Degree programmes. It’s also intended for students from countries whose secondary school qualifications are not considered equivalent to UACE. The Courses emphasize general principles and application.
Objectives of the Foundation Programme Include:
- To prepare students for entrance into undergraduate degree/diploma programmes and thereby:
- Introduce students to the culture of higher education and university life.
- Provide a structured framework that supports students becoming self-directed learners
- To provide the opportunity to develop leadership, supervisory skills and team work in order to work effectively in a contemporary, multidisciplinary setting and to begin to make independent decisions with appropriate support
- To provide each foundation student with a variety of workplace experiences during their Foundation Programme in order to best inform career choice.
The general requirements are;
- Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education with at least two subsidiary passes or its equivalent. At least one of the subsidiary pass shall be from a principal subject. For avoidance of doubt, a holder of UACE with only one principal pass shall be deemed to meet the admission requirements.
- Vocational Qualifications at level 2 or 3 of the Uganda Vocational Qualifications Framework or its equivalent.
- Qualifications equivalent to Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) as shall be determined by the National Council in consultation with the Uganda National Examinations Board.
- An ordinary certificate from an institution recognized by NCHE.
- Students whose foreign secondary school qualifications are not considered equivalent to UACE but permit admission into Higher Education in the foreign country. Such students shall have passed at least five subjects with a minimum overall grade of C (equivalently a Ugandan grade 5). In addition, foreign students whose studies were not conducted in English shall show proof of proficiency in the English Language. The English proficiency centers shall be accredited by NCHE.